Enough About Me ...

Bloggin' Schmoggin'

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

 

Deliverance of the Sea

During an excited discussion on monogamy with some of my high school turn e-friends, the question finally arrived at "Mallards, really? What other animals are monogamous, Jean?" To which I replied the typical answer of many birds, the prairie vole (I don't exactly know what this is except that it's studied quite frequently) and shrimp. I don't know why I know this other than it does make for great party conversation. Pressed on the shrimp answer (more specifically: "Shrimp??? C'mon, chimpy. You're one of a billion plankton floating in a cloud in the ocean about to eaten by a baleen whale and you're gonna stick with ONE other crustacean? How could a shrimp even FIND their life-mate if a strong current separated them? I would like to respecfully call bull-shit"), I was forced to widipedia my retort as back up. Yes, shrimp are monogamous, but what I didn't know was the type of shrimp. It turns out they aren't the running wild and free type. These shrimp dwell in a sponge, sort of an oceanic subdivision. Most interestingly is the their tendency of inbreeding. One can only wonder if they also are talented banjo players and squeal like a piggy.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]